Saturday, October 12, 2013

Dr. Drinks

Me: Sitting studying while the residents complete their notes.

Dr. Drinks: (enters room) I have so much to do today! Now I know why Dr. Amazing always looks forward to going home and having a beer at the end of the day.

Dr. Smiley: I think all doctors are secretly alcoholics. When I have the time I plan on drinking every night. (laughs)

Dr. Drinks: Me too! In fact, I think I might start tonight. (leaves room)

Me: (thinking to myself) I wish that was the first time I had heard some random doctors have that conversation.....



Ah, the joys of medicine. A very rewarding yet stressful field. I had heard that alcohol was a part of doctor "society" but didn't realize how true it was until I entered medical school. I personally don't have any problem with a drink now and then. I like wine and rum and diet. However, I can't see myself drinking every night, and I really hope I never get to the point where I feel like I NEED a drink to deal with my day. The unfortunate truth is that alcohol dependency is this professions little dark secret. We even had a couple lectures about it in school. How to spot someone with a problem, how to get them help. Kind of scary if you think about it. But it also proves what many people forget: doctors are humans too. The only difference between doctors and everyone else is some specialized education. Doctors are still susceptible to stress and need to be aware of this. From medical students to residents to attendings, taking care of yourself should come first! You can't take good care of your patients if you don't take care of you. :)

~#102~

No comments:

Post a Comment