Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Just get used to it

Interacting with patients as a 3rd year student is a great experience but you soon realize that many don't tell you the whole story so when the doctor comes in the room you kind of look like an idiot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: So besides the refills on your hypertension medications is there anything else you are here for?

Patient 1: No.

Me: Great. So we already talked about diet, exercise and medication side effects. Any questions you want me to ask the doctor?

Patient 1: No, I don't think so.

Me: Ok. The doctor and I will be back in together in just a minute.

Doctor: Hi Patient 1, so my student says you are doing pretty good. Nice to hear!

Patient 1: Doctor, I hate that medicine you have me on. It makes me pee at night and I can't sleep!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: How does that abdominal pain feel?

Patient 2: Like an achy pain.

Me: Can you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 for me and tell me if it radiates anywhere?

Patient 2: It is about a 5 and it just stays right here by my belly button.

(Later)

Doctor: How is your pain?

Patient 2: Oh, it is this sharp pain in my belly that goes all the way to my back and it gets so bad I can barely breath!!





No comments:

Post a Comment